What is the Kickstart Scheme?
The Kickstart Scheme is a £2 billion fund focused on creating hundreds of thousands of high quality 6 month work placements for young people. In short, a new job for a young person (aged 16-24) could be fully funded by the government. This includes wages, National Insurance contributions, and even an additional incentive to cover costs.
Key Kickstart Scheme Details
- The Kickstart Scheme is available to employers creating a new opportunity/job placement for a young person (aged 16-24).
- The scheme pays wages at 25 hours per week for 6 months at National Minimum Wage. However, you can offer more hours and offer higher than NMW if you wish.
- You can receive a grant of up to £1500. This will cover costs such as admin, training and set up costs (such as new equipment).
How does the funding work?
Employers will pay participants on the Kickstart scheme through their usual payroll procedures and will be reimbursed from month 2 of the placement start date based on confirmation that the participant has been paid through pay-as-you-earn tax (PAYE).
Are there any other requirements?
- The Kickstart Scheme is meant for new jobs only. In other words, they must not replace existing or planned vacancies, and cannot cause existing employees or contractors to lose or reduce their employment.
- The job role must be at least 25 hours a week, and should not require participants to undertake extensive training before they begin.
- Employers will work with us to develop the participants skills and experience to support and improve their long-term employment prospects.
How to Apply to the Kickstart Scheme
- Contact us on 01246 278931, email email@example.com, or fill in the contact form below.
- Following on from this, we will work with you to create a job placement specification detailing the duties of the role and support requirements.
- Once the specification is approved, we will complete the application on your behalf and provide the pre-employment training, coaching and administrative support.
- If the application is approved by DWP, Job Centre coaches will then select suitable participants that are eligible. In this case, eligible participants are those in receipt of Universal Credit referred by Job Centre.
- Once we have received the details for these participants, we will carry out screening and interview preparation.
- After you have selected your preferred candidates, we will then arrange interview dates and times that work best for both your business and the candidate.
- If the interview is a success, their employment within your business will commence and confirmation of the participant start will be communicated to DWP.
Update: 2 February 2021
From the date above, the Kickstart Scheme will enact the following changes:
- Sole traders may now apply for the scheme through a gateway (e.g. Apprentice Team Ltd). Previously, sole traders were excluded from the scheme.
- There is no longer a 30 position minimum for direct applications to the scheme. This does not change the application process when applying with us.
Our advisors will be more than happy to discuss your requirements and help you understand how the Kickstart scheme works. We’re supporting employers of all industries with their Kickstart applications, not only in Chesterfield but throughout the country, so you can be confident you’re in experienced hands.
For further advice or to apply, call us on 01246 278931, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill in the contact form below. The earlier you begin sign-up, the quicker your business can recruit its next rising star.